Wednesday, August 24, 2011

NYC to Ohio- A Moving Adventure

Last weekend was an adventure of the moving kind. When I tell you it was one of the most exhausting experiences of my life, I am in no way exaggerating. It was quite a long ordeal, but totally worth it in the end.

Let us start at the beginning...

Saying goodbye to all of my friends at work was so devastating. I left there sobbing so hard I couldn't even get on the subway. I cabbed it home and cried on the phone to my Mom the whole way. Wahhh wahhh wahhhh. But when I got home, it was moving time. So I dried my tears, changed into jorts and got my head around getting out of my apartment. We got all of our stuff in order and were about to start the move when the sky opened up. I'm not kidding you- it was like the freaking Apocalypse. We had just brought our first load down, the boys ran inside to get the next load and I stayed in the U-Haul with the stuff. It was at that moment that it started POURING down pelting rain. The kind of rain that leaves you defenseless. It makes your heavy duty umbrella look like a joke. It made my white t-shirt look like it was seethrough on purpose. Feeling slutty while doing heavy duty lifting? Not a feeling I'm comfortable with...

Normal people would have stopped the moving process. But not the Quinonez's. Not us. Nope, we roll with the punches. So the boys kept bringing stuff down and we just went with it. The rain ended up lightening up towards the end, but it was all pretty miserable. I'm just SO thankful to have had my Dad and my cousin there to help. They were seriously badasses throughout the whole thing. Pelting rain? That's nothing. Oh, and did I mention that I lived in a 5th floor walk up? Yeah, it was brutal. So not only were they trudging through the rain, but they were running up and down 5 flights of stairs carrying boxes full of heavy crap. They are seriously champs. I owe them my frist born child or something. Err wait- that's not right. I've already promised that poor thing to a few different people.. 2nd born?

These two pictures below are my favorite of the weekend. It shows my two guys in the midst of day two finishing touches. Oh yeah- this was a two day process. Once we woke up in the morning, we started bringing down stuff like the mattress, futon bed, and other little odds and ends that didn't make it in the night before. Our goal was to be out of the city by 11am. We made it out by noon- an hour late- I have to say I was kind of impressed. Throughout the whole process, my Dad and Codi were both so amazing. They had such positive attitudes, which was so helpful because I was definitely feeling bummed about leaving the city. I don't know how I got so lucky as to have such amazing dudes in my life to help with all of the heavy lifting. They really are the best :)

After we left the city, it was a solid 9 hour drive back to Ohio. I love a good road trip, so I was totally into the idea. But then I was informed that I would be spending 9 hours trapped in the backseat amongst boxes, pillows and blankets. Not as stoked as I originally was... But I ended up fitting in a couple naps so in hindsight, I couldn't have been that uncomfortable. Who am I kidding, I can sleep pretty much anywhere. I once fell sleep on the stairs... sober. But you can only take so many naps while in a confined area. To take up the rest of the time, we watched movies on my laptop. We set it on the console between the two front seats and it was perfection. We got through The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, Easy A and Going The Distance. It totally helped pass the time. Not only that, but we stocked up on loads of candy and Diet Coke at pretty much every stop. I'm pretty sure I had a sugar high all the way through Pennsylvania.

The whole experience was very tiring, but a fun little trip overall. If I had to pick two people to be stuck in a car with for almost 10 hours, Codi and my Dad would definitely be high on my list. I don't think I could ever thank them enough for trekking all the way to New York and back in one weekend. Now they have to put up with me being in town and annoying them for at least the next few years :)


Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! It's lovely hearing from you :)