Friday, December 21, 2012
2012 Favorites: Albums
I have returned from an unintended prolonged absence! I'm currently back home in Ohio and thoroughly enjoying being around my friends and family. But I have to press pause on the family time to share with you all my favorite list of the year! It's also the hardest one for me to do- my favorite albums of 2012! It's tough to whittle the list down. But it was a good year for music, I must say. So here's my top 10:
10. Die Antwoord- Ten$ion- Okay, so Die Antwoord are like maybe the weirdest duo ever. They're form South Africa and rap in English, Afrikaans and Xhosa. A lot of people think that their whole thing is a hoax, but I, for one, totally believe it. Seeing them live will probably go down as one of the best concerts of my life. The whole time I just kept saying "THIS IS THE BEST NIGHT EVER!!!!" And I meant it. This album is completely bizarre from start to finish. It's my go-to when I want to get weird.
9. Mumford & Sons- Babel- Everyone loved this album, right? It was a solid follow up to Sigh No More. I feel like this is the kind of album I'll still be listening to in 20 years. That will probably be true of all of Mumford & Sons' releases, honestly. Even though the whole "indie folk banjo rock" music thing seemed like a total fad, I think of their music as timeless.
8. Now, Now- Threads- If you haven't listened to this record, your ears are seriously missing out. Female singer & swoon-worthy lyrics. What could be better? Definitely an under appreciated band. So get on that, internet.
7. fun.- Some Nights- Everyone's listened to this album by now, right? fun. blew up this year, and I couldn't be happier about it. It's the kind of album that I can listen to from start to finish over and over again. Perfect "pre-party" music, too.
6. Ellie Goulding- Halcyon- I didn't expect to, but man oh man, I love Ellie Goulding. This album is so great. Sometimes I just put it on and dance around in my room by myself. I'm super cool like that. "Anything Could Happen" has quickly become my personal theme song. Love!
5. Walk the Moon- S/T- A great band that hails from Ohio- gotta love 'em. I think a lot of indie music eventually starts to sound the same, so it's increasingly difficult to find a band or an album to really connect to amongst all the crap. To me, Walk the Moon do "indie rock" very well. Unique lyrics and vocals, and all of their songs don't sound the same. Definitely loving their sophomore album.
4. Bad Books- II- When Kevin Devine & Andy Hull get together, something supremely magical happens. I love their outside projects so much, but nothing compares to the music they make together. This has been one of my go-to sad times albums of the year. Sometimes you just need to put on music and contemplate the confusion that comes with being in your mid-twenties, right?
3. Gaslight Anthem- Handwritten- Could I love anyone as much as I love Brian Fallon? Probably not. He's total perfection. Something about his vocals & lyrics just get me every time. I love love love Handwritten because it's classic Gaslight. As much as I love watching a band evolve and grow, sometimes it's nice when a band knows to just stick to what they do best.
2. Taylor Swift- Red- I mean, mah gurl T. Swift is kind of killing it these days. I love her so much. I know that makes me a huge loser/teeny-bopper, but I don't even care. I can't even tell you how many times I've listened to Red over and over again. It's like she writes songs for every girl who's ever gone through anything- falling in love, breaking up, dating the wrong guy, partying, etc. I could seriously write a dissertation on how much I love this album. I'm gross.
1. The Lumineers- S/T- Best album of the year, hands down. And I will fight anyone who says otherwise! I have been listening to The Lumineers self-titled debut from start to finish at least once a week every week since it came out. It just doesn't get old. There's something earnest and sweet about their music. I think they're only going to get bigger and bigger from here. Fingers crossed they win the Best New Artist Grammy! They deserve it, for sure.
What are your favorite albums of the year? I'd love to check them out :)